Intensive Summer School: An Introduction to Creating Picture Books
Learn the essentials of creating Picture books for 0-6 year olds.
Creating a dummy book takes longer than a week, but this course, which runs in August and will inspire you with new ideas, introduce you to relevant literary and artistic techniques and equip you with the commercial knowledge to take your ideas further in a successful direction. The unique setting of the House of Illustration provides access to the exhibition galleries for drawing and visual research.
During the course you will:
• Gain an overview of the market and advice on getting published
• Learn how to create stories with convincing characters
• Experiment with a range of appropriate artistic mediums
• Explore narrative themes, structures and writing styles
• Learn how to storyboard a book with compelling layouts
• Learn how to make a book dummy to send to publishers
• Receive one-to-one and group feedback on your work
• Get free entry to the House of Illustration galleries for the duration of the course
• The opportunity to enrol on Claire’s intermediate level evening course where you can develop your book idea further and present it to a visiting publisher and agent at the end of the course
After the course you will have the opportunity to book onto the intermediate evening course starting in September, subject to availability.